As more people use mobile devices to access the internet for everything, including learning, Moodle continues to develop and enhance its mobile app to increase learners’ experiences and make the classroom as easily accessible on mobile devices.
The Moodle Mobile App was first released in April 2013 through the Google Play and Apple Stores.
Over the last three years, Moodle has seen over 200% increase in installations for the Moodle Mobile App, reinforcing the trend towards mobile learning.
Now, three months since its last update, Moodle is pleased to release Moodle Mobile 3.1.3, complete with new and improved features that have been developed based on user feedback.
One of the main improved features of Moodle Mobile 3.1.3 is the offline support functionality, allowing users to participate in the majority of activities in the app when they are not connected to a network.
Previously, the offline capability in Moodle Mobile only extended to quizzes and SCORM. Now learners can also private message other users, add a course note, complete a survey, create a new forum post or new wiki page and even complete an assignment offline.
The app will integrate results when users are back online.
This feature will be of particular use to those with limited internet access, ensuring that being offline is not a barrier to accessing your study through Moodle.
Juan Levya, an Analyst Developer at Moodle HQ, leading the Moodle Mobile team, also outlined some other notable new features and improvements to the app.
“In Moodle Mobile 3.1.3, learners will also be able to load courses faster in their Moodle site due to performance improvements to the app,” said Juan.
“Another new feature that should be noted is the filtering option in forum threads.”
“This will allow learners to choose how to display their forum messages – oldest or newest – by simply clicking on the filtering functionality.”
If you are new to the Moodle Mobile App, you can also expect the following existing features:
- Responsive design for phone and tablets
- Ability to upload a picture into your private file area
- Record an audio file and upload it into your private file area
- Send a private message to a course participant
- Take a personal note about a course participant
- Add a course participant to your phone contact
- Call a course participant touching the phone number
- Locate a course participant address on Google map
- Download and view some resources
- Quick access to your course contents
- View calendar events (require Moodle 2.5.5 or Moodle 2.6.2 and onwards)
- Mobile notifications (push)
- Remote layout/style customization (find out more information here)
- Upload any type of file from your device to your Moodle private files area
- * Support for sites using CAS or Shibboleth as auth methods
- * View calendar events
- * View your private messages and notifications
- * View your activity and course total grades in a course
- * Browse and download your private and course files
- * View forum discussions
Note: All features indicated (*) require the Moodle Mobile additional features add-on to be installed.
For more information on Moodle Mobile please visit https://docs.moodle.org/en/Mobile_app
Juan Leyva, Moodle Mobile Team Leader discusses Moodle Mobile 3.1.3
Juan Leyva, soy el Lider del Equipo de Moodle Mobile