The Moodle Trademark
The word “Moodle” is trademarked in many countries around the world. The word was originally an acronym: Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment. The trademark is owned by Martin Dougiamas, Founder and Director of Moodle.
The law obligates trademark owners to police their marks and prevent the use of confusingly similar names by third parties. Through this policy we’d like to make it clear how Moodle-related projects, organisations, and people can use the Moodle trademark. We’d also like to be clear about how use of the word is restricted when used to promote commercial Moodle services. We do this to protect the very business model that allows us to continue developing Moodle for you.
The following uses don’t require any permission at all:
- Referring to the software or the Moodle project.
- Describing your own Moodle implementation (including within corporate settings).
- Describing a Moodle-based community hub.
- Describing some software you’ve made that integrates with Moodle (eg a Moodle integration feature on another system)
The following uses are generally prohibited without explicit and direct permission being granted to you by Moodle Pty Ltd. We do this to protect the Moodle project from software and sites which could confuse people. Please contact us to ask for permission in writing.
- You can’t use “Moodle” in the name of your software (including Mobile apps)
- You can’t use “Moodle” in your company name
- You can’t use “Moodle” in your domain name
- You can’t use “Moodle” in advertising-related keywords (such as Adsense)
- You can’t use “Moodle” to describe services around Moodle (such as hosting, training, support, consulting, course creation services, theme development, customisation, installation, integration and certification). This applies even if you do not charge for the services. Note that usually only Moodle Partners have this permission.
The Moodle Partner Certification Mark
“Moodle Partner” is a Certification Mark owned by Martin Dougiamas:
Use of this logo is restricted to Moodle Partners only, and the term can only be used to refer to a currently certified Moodle Partner.
Please contact us if you have questions about your proposed use or to clarify anything listed here!