The Moodle Trademark
The brand and word “Moodle” has trade mark protection in many countries around the world. Various Moodle™ trade marks are owned by either Moodle Pty Ltd or one of its associated entities. The law obligates trade mark owners to police their trade marks and prevent the use of confusingly similar names by third parties. Through this policy we’d like to make it clear how Moodle-related projects, organisations, and people can use the Moodle™ trade mark. We’d also like to be clear about how use of the word is restricted when used to promote commercial Moodle™ branded services. We do this to protect the very business model that allows us to continue developing our Moodle™ software platform for you.
Allowed uses of “Moodle™“
The following uses don’t require any permission at all:
- Referring to the software or the Moodle project as the “Moodle™ software” or the “Moodle™ project”
- Describing your own implementation of the Moodle™ software platform (including within corporate settings).
- Describing a Moodle-based community hub.
- Describing certain software you’ve made that integrates with Moodle™ branded software (e.g. a Moodle™ integration feature on another system).
Restricted uses of “Moodle”
The following uses are generally prohibited without explicit and direct permission being granted to you by Moodle Pty Ltd. We do this to protect the Moodle™ project from software and sites which could confuse people. Please contact us to ask for permission in writing.
- You can’t use any “Moodle” logos without prior written consent from Moodle HQ.
- You can’t use “Moodle” in the name of your software (including Mobile apps).
- You can’t use “Moodle” in your company name.
- You can’t use “Moodle” in your domain name.
- You can’t use “Moodle” in advertising-related keywords (such as Adsense).
- You can’t use “Moodle” to describe services around Moodle (such as hosting, training, support, consulting, course creation services, theme development, customisation, installation, integration, analytics and certification) that cause consumers to be confused that you are associated with Moodle HQ if you are not. This applies even if you do not charge for the services. Note that usually only Moodle Partners have this permission.
The Moodle™ Brand
Our brand guidelines provide information about the overall brand framework, basic elements and messaging. The guidelines are an important tool in ensuring that the Moodle™ brand is presented and expressed correctly and consistently across applications. Your help doing this is invaluable and will help build an even stronger Moodle™ brand now and for the future.
Please contact us for further details about our brand guidelines.
The Moodle Partner Certification Mark
The below logos are certification marks or trademarks owned by Moodle.
Use of these marks are restricted to Moodle Premium Partners, Moodle Partners and Moodle Resellers only, and can only be used to refer to currently certified Moodle Premium Partners, Moodle Partners and Moodle Resellers as applicable. Please contact us if you have questions about your proposed use or to clarify anything listed here.
Archived Moodle Partner Certification Marks
The certification mark below was used between 2016-2018. Please update to the latest Moodle Partner certification mark or contact us if you have questions about your proposed use or to clarify anything listed here.